So my learning goal of developing a comfortable relationship with social media is slowly but surely coming along...slowly....but surely. I am quite comfortable with Twitter and now I am yet to tackle Yammer and the MIM facebook page.
I have taken the next steps and found every application to every social media I have subscribed to in the last couple of weeks and downloaded them onto my iPad and iPhone. Like an obsessive teenager, I have subscribed to, followed and commented on as many tweets, blogs and status updates as I could possibly bare (which wasn't many). On top of those applications, I also have configured my phone to include my email accounts and the contact lists and calendars they contain.
On the discovery of RSS this week, I was happy to find out that with google I already have these in place so that I get notified on the everythings and nothings that are happening at every moment in my day. My phone constantly buzzes and I am quickly discovering my anti-social side.
My social media membership includes:
- Facebook [MIM page]
- Yammer [rmit.edu.au]
- Yammer [student.rmit.edu.au]
- Blogger
- Blackboard and those blogs x2
- myRMIT
- gmail [staff]
- gmail [student]
- gmail [personal & Twitter & Blogger & Reader]
I can agree that these tools can benefit you and your career, depending on how you choose to use it. I enjoy being apart of the communal discussions that occur and the comical banter. I also like the convenience that these mediums provide on a just in time basis and the convenience that it is on your phone or device and accessible at all times. Unfortunately I wish I had more time to explore...
Google DOCS
I can comment that I use this regularly and that I quite comfortable with it. It is quite useful for collaborative works and you can apply privacy settings so that it can only be accessed to those working on the document.
On storing documents in the cloud...
I am a Dropbox user and I love it. It is a great backup for big pieces of work and an environmentally friendly way to store documents. This program is quite intuitive and user friendly. You can also get more free storage just by referring a friend.
Other cloud storage include Google docs, Google Drive and Hotmail sky, these are usually free to subscribe to, otherwise you can check out the Best 10 cloud storage site for the best and cheapest.
I am looking forward to beginning the next stage of my learning goal HTML
Happy blogging
Liz
Other cloud storage include Google docs, Google Drive and Hotmail sky, these are usually free to subscribe to, otherwise you can check out the Best 10 cloud storage site for the best and cheapest.
I am looking forward to beginning the next stage of my learning goal HTML
Happy blogging
Liz

Hey nice cat :)
ReplyDeleteDon't you think it's strange how the net is so heavily populated with funny cats? I mean, they ARE hilarious, but who knew HOW hilarious until the all-seeing all-knowing internet?! I, for one, did not.
If the net has given us anything, it has given us funny cats.
It was nice to catch up with you on Twitter the other night during #qanda. You were getting right into it. It was very amusing.
But back to the point , which was my comment on your post. This is what I wanted to say...
When you go on your HTML journey, can you please take me with you? I am pretty scared about that one. The thought of writing in any language other than long-winded English kinda freaks me out.
Blog on!
Your blog made me think about all the social media I signed up to but too scared to list... and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that is keeping up with as much as possible but also applying some discretion.
ReplyDelete@PoMoFo - It is amazing how many cat photos are around, There is a photo going around of a breed of cat that looks grumpy and many memes have been created around it. I think it even has its own facebook page!
ReplyDeleteIn regards to HTML, sure happy to include you on the journey. I am currently reviewing all the web publishing work I have done to see how much I can remember but I am also keen to explore XML as well.
@Bevw - It is amazing how many social media sites there are. I recently re-discovered my old mySpace page from 4 years ago! I think it is important to apply some discretion especially now that I have a young family I feel I now need to be more responsible with how I use it.
Thanks for your comments!
Hey Liz,
ReplyDeleteI too feel comfortable using Google Drive/Docs. I used it last semester for a few group projects for uni and it's really intuitive. I think its much better than Dropbox for collaboration and its really good that it allows real time editing by more than one person on the same document. Its intuitive to use and once you've worked out how to upload a document and invite people to edit it its straight forward.
This is actually how I feel about the other Web 2.0 tools I've been using for this blog assignment. Spend a bit of time working out their functionality, reading through the starter manual and giving them a trial run - then its easy and quick to use them.
I have just spent some time with Dropbox and I agree with you - I love it! Its a really good way to back up all of my work and its really cool to share photos and music etc with friends who don't live in Melbourne (but also them!). Do you use Dropbox more for work/uni or do you use it to share stuff with your family and friends?
Lastly - I second Emily on the 'take me with you on the HTML journey'....I fell as though I should be feeling anxious but know so little about it that I don't even feel that. Its a good thing you sound like you know what you're doing.