Saturday, 6 April 2013

Wikipedia

My Wikipedia contribution - Theatre of Australia



Source: http://en.wikipedia.org


So I was excited to actually find a subject on Wikipedia that I felt comfortable to contribute to... Australian Theatre. Performing Arts and theatre is something I can probably talk to you about all day as it was my major at uni.

Wikipedia is a living encyclopedia that anyone can contribute to. (Now I understand why it used to be a big no no for researching). I am unsure if all the information supplied is correct, however all topics seem to be heavily referrenced and with 77,000 wikipedia editors working around the clock to ensure information credibility, Wikipedia seems more reputable. Although, I would not rely on this as an only source of information.

I decided to add three Melbourne amateur theatre companies that I know of that have been around for some time because Melbourne representation seemed to be lacking:
  1. Monash University Performing Arts (I was a part of this one for some time)
  2. Sherbrooke Theatre Company (My local)
  3. The 1812 Theatre (My partner was a member of this one)
This is the page I edited:
(I apologise in advance for the image sizing not happening with the blog page, had I made this any smaller you wouldn't be able to see a thing)



This is the Section I contributed to Amateur: see how most of these companies are from Perth?


My 3 additions:


End result:   





For a clearer look, please click here



I was surprised at the ease of this task, slightly disapointed at the lack of HTML but they have made it quite user friendly. I did end up creating an account with Wikipedia when doing this task and I noticed that I can access other members usernames and chat to co-contributors if I wanted to. I can see exactly what other members have added and cited right upto the amount of "bytes" used. 

The contribution before mine was only done 2 weeks ago, their username is Addbot and they were clever to migrate 2 interwiki links into Wikidata, a database within Wikipedia that manages interlanguage links into a central accessible point.

It was great to do this and I would suggest to anyone wanted to do this to read the About Wikipedia section first, it provides some great insight to how this site was developed and how far it has come and their sister projects that are now coming out of this like Wikidata, Wikinews and Wikiversity!

Cheers,

Liz
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Liz, you're a legend. I didn't know about Wikidata! I followed your link and had a nosey around there just now. I must say, the scope of the whole Wiki project astounds me. There really is a universe in there...

    Anyway, awesome Wiki entry. Nice to put a bit more Melbourne on the map in the amateur theatre world. We def. want to kick Perth's butt.

    Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah bloody Perth, honestly....

      Wikidata was a nice discovery, so is Wikiversity. I love the idea of setting learning free. Their projects are quite fascinating and innovative.

      Glad you enjoyed the find

      Delete
  2. Liz, that is really good. Your blog is very informative, I learnt a lot reading it! I didn't know anything about Wikidata either. Good on you for adding some information to Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz! I didn't know that you were a theater buff. How interesting! I want to hear acting days! I'll be the third person in this comments thread to say firstly well done on your Wikipedia contribution. Look at my buddies go and share their knowledge with the wold via Wikipedia!

    You've made it look easy. I'm having a go at it but think its best left till this weekend so I can do it all in one go (I remember Emily's post saying that it took her longer that she'd thought). How long did you spend doing this? I'd be interested to know to see if I'm just being really slow at it. It seems as though its worth creating an account with Wikipedia and it's excellent that it allows you access to other members' user names and the ability to chat to co-authors. It really is then a tool for creation, communication and collaboration.

    Thanks too for pointing me in the direction of Wikidata. I agree with Katherine - I always do a learn on your blog.
    Ta
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen. I was a theatre buff years ago, not so much anymore but I still love it. I have friends still in the business and even some on telly.

      Adding to Wikipedia wasn't hard but it did take me a while. I couldn't pick up on the "computer lingo" used, it didn't look like HTML but it could have been, just not what I know. It was a trial and error thing for me, I don't know if Emily had the same issue, but I found that I had to constantly preview what I had added to ensure it looked like a seamless add.

      I was only adding links and that required the link to be added before the heading, sorry the 3rd image shows this but it's unclear..

      To add the 1812 Theatre link in HTML went like this:

      *[http://www.1812theatre.com.au/ The 1812 Theatre] - Melbourne

      It was confusing as some of the links had doubled up on their brackets, spaces and even their links were not manually entered but were some how encoded - don't ask way too freaky geeky for my understanding!

      I hope this explanation helps...

      L

      Delete
    2. Liz! You are my saviour. Thanks for taking the time to write that. It does help x 100!
      And I can't wait to see you face-2-face to hear about your days treading the boards (sorry...)
      Happy blogging.
      E

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz, you’ve done some good things including editing wikipedia but don’t forget to keep focusing on new things, rather than what you’ve done previously. I saw from Twitter that you had been tweeting during Q&A but remember to mention such experiences in your blog. Did you find it easy, did you feel you were contributing to the debate? And where else have you been tweeting? I’ll be interested to hear if your views about it have changed over the next few weeks. And what ways have you found (if any) to make the huge range of information sources you mention less overwhelming? John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment John, I was going to add my findings to my reflection blog at the end, but I can do this sooner. Please advise, cheers!

      Delete